Nut Suite. Mini reviews of albums old and new. Minimum words. No fuss. No spoilers [?]. Occasional smugs.

Monday, December 12, 2011

HELMET / Betty (1994)

I've always considered Helmet as a lighter, friendlier version of Fudge Tunnel. Fudge Tunnel laughed in your face if you didn't like their sound, but Helmet said, 'Hmmm, okay we'll compromise a little and even the ladies will like us.' The sound is thick and chunky with hints of grunge, and beneath the repetition is an occasional meander into self-indulgent stoner territory. The drums are pretty damn good most of the time and work in tandem with the bass like they should.
On a side note, I think Betty's giving me the eye. I should let her buy me dinner.

Songs of Note: Biscuits For Smut; Milquetoast

3 backyard servings out of 5

No comments: