Nut Suite. Mini reviews of albums old and new. Minimum words. No fuss. No spoilers [?]. Occasional smugs.

Thursday, December 31, 2015

The Matrix: Original Motion Picture Score (1999)


Straight up, I own this for completion's sake. Nothing here is particularly meaty and in some places it's alternately Looney Tunes-esque and on-the-nose hokey, out of context as it is. I'm fishing for positive things to say, but I do like the subtle bongos/timpani drums at the outset of 'The Hotel Ambush,' before the usual clash, bombast, and drone set in. I'm willing to bet a longer version of this exists, but this release just isn't a pleasing listen, for me. I'd rather watch the movie.


1½ Disapproving Glares Over Being Forced to List the Main Theme As a Song of Note out of 5

1 comment:

cuckoo said...

The 1999 album is a 2 star from me.
It's a difficult and challenging score that isn't fairly represented in the mere 30 minutes that it is.

The 2008 VS album clocks in at 70 minutes and fairs much better. However Davis still hadn't properly gained confidence to experiment withe the post-modern scoring he was attempting until the sequels. So it's an interesting blue-print for the awesomeness that was to come.
2008 album gets a 3 out of 5