Nut Suite. Mini reviews of albums old and new. Minimum words. No fuss. No spoilers [?]. Occasional smugs.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

JULEE CRUISE / Floating into the Night [1989]

After collaborating with director David Lynch & composer Angelo Badalamenti on a cut from the Blue Velvet soundtrack, singer Julee Cruise ending up recording a full album with the songwriting duo, resulting in 1989's dream-pop cult classic Floating into the Night.
Combining Badalamenti's dreamy contemporary jukebox jazz, Lynch's playful cliché lovesick lyrics with Cruise's ethereal falsetto voice creates a hauntingly soothing atmosphere.  5 of the 10 tracks would end up appearing in Lynch's TV series Twin Peaks so it could easily be considered an extended soundtrack to the show but on it's own it stands quite well, considering you have a taste for this sort of music.  It can't help but escape comparisons to The Cocteau Twins or This Mortal Coil, so in short it's one of the best albums record label 4AD never put out.

4 sad dreams blowing through trees out of 5

Songs of Note: Rockin' Back Inside My HeartThe World Spins

2 comments:

Dr Faustus said...

It's been a long, long time since I played it. I'll probably remedy that soon now that you've put the thought into my head. I used to put it on at low volume as I lay down to sleep because of the warm, drifty nature of it.

cuckoo said...

It's perfect at low volume.

Another one of those albums that doesn't require your complete attention but rather put it on and let it seep into you so that it matches your general rhythm.

I was on my way to nutting Wild at Heart OST for the inevitable Lynch Collection but nearly forgot about this and had to backtrack a year resulting in me losing the chronological order of album releases.
I suppose no one will notice or make anyone else's eye twitch other than me. XD