Nut Suite. Mini reviews of albums old and new. Minimum words. No fuss. No spoilers [?]. Occasional smugs.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

LANA DEL REY / Born To Die (2012)

The Gangsta Nancy Sinatra tag she used to describe herself fits Lana well, if Nancy had grown up on Lynchian sleazy jazz and sipping from a cup of sadness and nostalgia.  She projects a kind of melancholy that drifts along and occasionally peaks in a Roy Orbison homage.  But that is only one aspect of it.  Elsewhere there are hip hop elements and some awkward cute high pitched voice that made me skip tracks.  There is a lot of repetition and it's apparent very quickly, however there is almost enough maturity and seduction to sustain the interest.   It’s not perfect but it has a certain slithery something that worked its way into my head.

Songs of Note: Summertime Sadness; Blue Jeans

2½ bitch is off to the races out of 5

2 comments:

cuckoo77 said...

I didn't mind this stuff too much either.

I'd go with a 3.

Dr Faustus said...

If I could strip away the parts I don't like I'd go with 3 as well. Just those bits that irk me dragged it down a little. If she keeps that trippy jazzy vibe and doesn't get too overly complex on the next album I'll happy clap.