Nut Suite. Mini reviews of albums old and new. Minimum words. No fuss. No spoilers [?]. Occasional smugs.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

PINK FLOYD / A Momemtary Lapse Of Reason [1987]


Pink Floyd's 1987 release A Momentary Lapse Of Reason was a legal mess behind the scenes. Roger Waters who had deserted the band had taken the remaining members to court in an attempt to not let them use the Pink Floyd name anymore. Rick Wright was invited back into the band but was not legally allowed to be a member. Nick Mason, the credited drummer, played no drums on the album but rather contributed with the odd atmospheric effect here and there. All in all, Momentary Lapse is a David Gilmour solo album made to kick dirt into Waters' eyes.
There's a few beautiful and genuine songs but mostly the album is made up of great ideas brought to the table but never fleshed out into anything good. It sounds like '80's soundtrack songs performed by a U2 cover band and not the Floyd we came to love.

2 broken promises out of 5

Songs Of Note: Learning To Fly; On The Turning Away

4 comments:

Dr Faustus said...

It's been a few years since I heard this one. I have it on vinyl but not on CD, and my turntable is in limbo right now. I liked the Dogs of war - One Slip - One the Turning Away, they kind of worked as a trio in that order.
2 row boats out of 5 is what I'd say too.

Dr Faustus said...

Spelling errors galore above. Blame the nectar. You know the songs I was referring to.

cuckoo said...

:loldata:

I do.

I tossed and turned over a 2 or a 3 to be honest.

The entire first side is pretty solid.

Not Floyd's best but still pretty not horrible.

Side B is shit though.

It's been awhile since I visited this one as well. I think folks have just been so ready to trample on this on it generally gets a "boo hiss" without giving it a chance.

Dr Faustus said...

Dammit! Now I want to hear it. :(