Nut Suite. Mini reviews of albums old and new. Minimum words. No fuss. No spoilers [?]. Occasional smugs.

Saturday, January 14, 2012

KATATONIA / Viva Emptiness (2003)

I've already described the Katatonia sound as best I could, without penning a short story about it, in a previous review, so I won't go over it again here. I'll just add that Viva Emptiness is more of the same and is hailed by many in the metal press as one of the finest gothic metal albums ever made. I prefer the previous album, but I can't fault VE in any way, despite the band's misgivings about the production. The atmosphere of uplifting sadness is uninterrupted, as is the formula they created and perfected. I also love how, since their musical reinvention, each one of their album covers is like a self-contained story waiting to be written.

Songs of Note: Criminals; Omerta

5 dreams of violence coming true out of 5

No comments: